Author Topic: Jefailey matchup thread  (Read 6050 times)

Para

• Headshot
    • View Profile
Jefailey matchup thread
« on: August 21, 2013, 11:48:35 pm »
I've been trying to main Jefailey for ranked matches. He's a pretty bad character for the most part, but he's not as bad as people thinks he is. He's primarily a defensive character, until you get your kick factor (best in the game IMO) and become insane at rushing people down.

General tips/tricks:

-Use your charge defensively: You shouldn't be starting a charge against a character who plays passively. You need to be building meter every moment that you are safe from someone punishing you. If the other player is approaching you, start a charge in order to punish their approach. A good trick is to start a charge against a player, and if they back off, cancel your charge on the ground and continue to build meter for free. Don't feel like you have to commit to every charge you build up.

-Don't get impatient: Never attempt to fully charge/kickfactor divekick across the entire screen unless you know you can punish the other players dive.

-Approaching with kickfactor: If you do a low divekick, you can cover about half the screen. You can follow that up with a quick divekick for the kill. This allows you to get right on top of people when your kickfactor carries over to the next round. You can switch it up by doing a kickback kick after the initial approach.

-Use disqualify: There are two uses for disqualify. The obvious one is that it drains your opponents meter (even if they are in kickfactor). The second use is that it acts kind of like Marneto and gives you a second of hang time, which can be followed up with a kick. You need to use disqualify on characters that get a tremendous advantage on you with their abilities or kickfactor. You can also "feint" a dropkick by releasing a charged kick and immediately using disqualify, this might bait your opponent in to trying to counter kick you, but they still might be able to escape since the disqualify hang time is pretty long.

-Timer scam has its uses: The not so obvious use is that you can use timer scam to wait out Markmans kickbox special. It's a bit of a gamble since timerscam eats up a healthy chunk of your meter, and you might just be better off going for the kickfactor. Timer scam does completely freeze both players, so even if someones foot it flying toward your head, you can stall them and get the time out if there are only 2ish seconds left on the clock. Timer scam will also freeze the opponents kickfactor meter for its duration.
You can also timer scam twice if you enter kickfactor mode. This can allow you to timer scam your way to victory with 5 seconds still left on the clock if you approach the line with the divekick that enters you in to kickfactor(entering kickfactor runs a second off of the clock as well).

-The hitbox on his legs is huge: The hitbox isn't just restricted to his feet, but it seems like it covers his legs from the knees down. This makes it easier to hit people directly beneath you with that high dropkick.

-YOLO gem counterpick: If somebody you have a bad matchup with (shoals, s-kill, sensei, etc) picks the YOLO gem, you might as well pick it too. Once they get that first headshot, you're more than likely going to lose the next four rounds anyways. Always wait to see which gem your opponent picks before locking your pick in.

-Charging tips: You can begin charging your kick at any point. This includes immediately after you released a divekick, during timer scam, and during disqualified. You might be able to catch your opponent off guard if they are closing the gap on you and you can get 2-3 seconds of charge through timer scam.

-Knowing his vertical jump: Every time Jefailey's head gets bigger, his jumps go higher and are floatier. If you headshot a person for your fourth round win and you have kickfactor, you can reach them with a single max jump height divekick, they shouldn't be able to avoid it with a few exceptions.

Dive

Gem: meter

If he gets his kick factor, you're in serious trouble of getting headshot. Play defensively and build meter with a low kickback kick. You need to stand your ground, never get yourself in a corner or it's just too easy for him to get on top of you and there's nothing you can do to escape/punish it.

You need to race to get the meter to disqualify and land it, then you can build your way to kick factor and turn the tables.

Dr. Shoals

Gem: doesn't really matter

This is one of the worst matchups in all of divekick if you face a semi-competent Shoals. If she approaches you from the pinnacle of her jump, you can bait the deeper kick with a kickback kick and proper timing. Once you win about 3 rounds, you are absolutely screwed. You can't escape her high approach. If you jump, you get headshot. If you kickback to avoid the deeper kick, you get headshot (if they aim for the back half of your head). Your only really hope of escape is to get under her with a quick divekick before she changes angles, but if she reacts, you get headshot. If you actually manage to escape the corner, bait her deeper kicks with kickback kicks.

Seriously just have a secondary to deal with her, I love the Shoals vs Shoals mirror match. If anyone has any idea how to deal with her, let me know.

Jefailey

If he's charging, just build meter for a few kicks and try to get in to kick factor ASAP. If he tries to get you with a charge attack, you can punish it pretty easily with a max height divekick. Not much else to say about this one, just know your character and you'll know what to do.

Kenny

Haven't played many Kenny. Don't get hit by the spirit ball thingy.

Kick

Gem: kick

Build meter until he approaches you. Kickback kicks can punish him pretty well. Try to stay in the air when he's over half a screen away so you don't get party started.

Kung Pao

Gem: dive

Don't get too close to her on the ground. You can punish her divekick approach pretty well. A charge kick works very well against her since she cant jump very high.

Markman

If he stays on his starting position and starts grabbing items, let him. Just hang back in your corner and build meter. Win with your kickfactor or a nicely placed charge kick. If he goes in to kickbox mode (whatever it's called) you can timer scam to make him waste around 1/3rd of that meter(judgement call, going for kickfactor is probably the better choice). If you're going to challenge him when he's in kickbox mode, try to hit him in the vertical center of his sprite.

Mr. N

Don't corner yourself. Stand your ground and build meter until he approaches you, then start a charge and catch him approaching. You can also catch his low approaches with a kickback kick. Use disqualify if he's getting close to kickfactor.

Redacted

Same strat as Kick and Mr. N, except you don't really have to worry about disqualifying since she builds meter so slowly. The corner is a deathtrap.

S-Kill

He can't approach you quickly without trick. Race for meter to get disqualify and land it before he can build the meter for trick(can be tricky, try to bait the jumps so he cant dodge it). Don't try to disqualify if he has the meter for trick or you will give him a free headshot. Once you have the meter advantage you can build up to kickfactor. You can dodge trick if you divekick forward constantly or if you can predict when the player will do it. Once your head gets too big, trick is a guaranteed headshot on you.

Once you lose momentum in this matchup there's no real way to recover. It's also quite easy for him to parry you if you try to rush him down. This is a very tough matchup, but not impossible.

Stream

Out of the 150something ranked matches I've played, I only fought one stream. If he turns his divekick upward and hooks it underneath you, it's very tough to hit him without getting hit first. Just play defensively and rush to kickfactor.

The Baz

Probably your best matchup. If he sits in the corner building meter, you can do the same. You must land a disqualify on him before he gets kickfactor or he can take 2-3 rounds off of you with little effort. If he's in the corner, he can't dodge the disqualify in time.

Keep as much distance as possible from him. If he tries to approach you while you're a full screen from each other, you can easily punish him. Just play patiently until you have kickfactor. He really can't do anything to defend himself except for activating his ground special.

Once you have 4 rounds won, he can hit your giant head with a straight horizontal lightning kick. Never stand still if he is approaching you.

Uncle Sensei

Gem: dive

Haven't really played many Senseis. Don't corner yourself and try to punish with kickback kicks.

If anyone has any other strategies to share it would be awesome.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:35:14 am by Para »

CancR

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
Re: Jefailey matchup thread
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:16:21 am »
you left how how you can charge up your kick the second you go into the kick animation, allowing you to partial be charged by the time you hit the ground.

Adelheid

• Fraud Detector
  • Total Domination
  • Mary Boppins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:37:34 am »
S-Kill

He can't approach you quickly without trick. Race for meter to get disqualify and land it before he can build the meter for trick(can be tricky, try to bait the jumps so he cant dodge it). Don't try to disqualify if he has the meter for trick or you will give him a free headshot. Once you have the meter advantage you can build up to kickfactor. You can dodge trick if you divekick forward constantly or if you can predict when the player will do it. Once your head gets too big, trick is a guaranteed headshot on you.

Once you lose momentum in this matchup there's no real way to recover. It's also quite easy for him to parry you if you try to rush him down. This is a very tough matchup, but not impossible.

You say "try to bait the jumps so he can't dodge disqualified" but I don't really... Care if I get hit by it? What do I really have to fear from you getting kickfactor? You can't get me to the point where I won't be able to parry if you get kick factor. As far as I'm concerned it means your kick (which is ALWAYS reactionable with parry) has a minimum distance and means I can just throw out parry the moment I see you move and be content to kill you free. The matchup actually gets better for S-Kill when Jefailey is in kick factor, since at least you're less predictable when you can whiff it. Because, I have never seen Jefailey's kick hit in a way that couldn't be parried. So I'm perfectly content with just buildin g meter full screen. You say constant divekick can help you dodge trick but this is easy to read and trick can be timed when you're landing to make it completely free and undodgable thanks to how Jefailey's jump and kickback work.

It's not like it's impossible to take rounds, but the way to do it is to challenge S-Kill at the start and try to bait his shallow movement with your variable kicks. But the thing is he has no business being headshot, and the more you win, the easier it is for him to not even have to get a good read on you and just win for free. I don't really think it's feasible to take a full game against a good S-Kill as Jefailey. Someone can perhaps prove me wrong but I have never lost this matchup. If you're fighting an S-Kill, you may want to just switch to someone else.

Para

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 04:05:09 am »
You say "try to bait the jumps so he can't dodge disqualified" but I don't really... Care if I get hit by it? What do I really have to fear from you getting kickfactor? You can't get me to the point where I won't be able to parry if you get kick factor. As far as I'm concerned it means your kick (which is ALWAYS reactionable with parry) has a minimum distance and means I can just throw out parry the moment I see you move and be content to kill you free. The matchup actually gets better for S-Kill when Jefailey is in kick factor, since at least you're less predictable when you can whiff it. Because, I have never seen Jefailey's kick hit in a way that couldn't be parried. So I'm perfectly content with just buildin g meter full screen. You say constant divekick can help you dodge trick but this is easy to read and trick can be timed when you're landing to make it completely free and undodgable thanks to how Jefailey's jump and kickback work.

It's not like it's impossible to take rounds, but the way to do it is to challenge S-Kill at the start and try to bait his shallow movement with your variable kicks. But the thing is he has no business being headshot, and the more you win, the easier it is for him to not even have to get a good read on you and just win for free. I don't really think it's feasible to take a full game against a good S-Kill as Jefailey. Someone can perhaps prove me wrong but I have never lost this matchup. If you're fighting an S-Kill, you may want to just switch to someone else.

It really is a terrible terrible matchup, so much that I don't even play Jefailey vs s-kill anymore. Everything I can do is punishable. Even if I take a round or two, the matchup just gets worse and worse every time my head gets bigger.

I really wish they would make this character legitimate instead of intentionally making him a joke. He's still really fun to play, so I'm going to stick with him for every fight except for vs shoals and vs s-kill.

CancR

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:43:22 am »
Still waiting for you to add To your guide about charging the kick while in the kick animation which is an important piece to the jafailey

Darxio

• Multikill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 03:38:48 pm »
I don't play much Jefailey outside of Kenny Jefailey stance, but I play a lot of Sensei, and I've taken down a lot of Jefaileys.

I'd say Sensei is right behind Shoals as Jefailey's worst matchup.  If Shoals is a 9-1, Sensei is a 8-2.  I wouldn't Yolo Sensei though(Superman doesn't always beat Dropkick cause of its weird hitbox), but one headshot and it's all over for Jefailey in any round of that match.

I take Dive gem in this matchup when I'm Sensei.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:40:50 pm by Darxio »

Para

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm »
Still waiting for you to add To your guide about charging the kick while in the kick animation which is an important piece to the jafailey

Added the tip plus a little more on when you can charge.

I don't play much Jefailey outside of Kenny Jefailey stance, but I play a lot of Sensei, and I've taken down a lot of Jefaileys.

I'd say Sensei is right behind Shoals as Jefailey's worst matchup.  If Shoals is a 9-1, Sensei is a 8-2.  I wouldn't Yolo Sensei though(Superman doesn't always beat Dropkick cause of its weird hitbox), but one headshot and it's all over for Jefailey in any round of that match.

I take Dive gem in this matchup when I'm Sensei.

I've been about 50/50 vs Sensei so far, but I don't feel like I've ever fought a truely scary Sensei yet. I know they're out there, I just need to find them. Once I can get more experience with this character in the proper hands I can shape the matchup better. But on paper for me it doesn't look good for Jefailey.

Darxio

• Multikill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 07:41:01 pm »
If you want to improve your Jefailey x Sensei fight, hit me up on Steam(Same name as forum).  Any practice is good practice.

CancR

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 08:42:55 pm »

Thanks. I was typing that from my phone so I wasn't able to type out all the situations where you can charge, but on top of doing it while all the things you talked about, you can also keep your charge with out losing it for doing your meter powers but it's technically difficult to do: when holding you can release holding kick and quickly and pressing both quickly. Because you don't lose the charge the instant you let go, it slowly dissipates, so if your are fast you lose very little of your charge.

Honestly though, if they made it so Jafailey got a little bit higher with each size his head grows, he would be at the peak of balance. Jafailey's massive weakness comes not being able to get a little extra horizontal with each head size, allowing every character in the game to be a bad match up for him as they can easily get over him, even with the dive gem, and can simply string together headshots with no skill needed. Adding to Jafailey's horizontal  would help with that, but not making him suddenly op. The other idea of having him  not grow against the yolo gem is terrible.

Para

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 08:55:44 pm »

Thanks. I was typing that from my phone so I wasn't able to type out all the situations where you can charge, but on top of doing it while all the things you talked about, you can also keep your charge with out losing it for doing your meter powers but it's technically difficult to do: when holding you can release holding kick and quickly and pressing both quickly. Because you don't lose the charge the instant you let go, it slowly dissipates, so if your are fast you lose very little of your charge.

Honestly though, if they made it so Jafailey got a little bit higher with each size his head grows, he would be at the peak of balance. Jafailey's massive weakness comes not being able to get a little extra horizontal with each head size, allowing every character in the game to be a bad match up for him as they can easily get over him, even with the dive gem, and can simply string together headshots with no skill needed. Adding to Jafailey's horizontal  would help with that, but not making him suddenly op. The other idea of having him  not grow against the yolo gem is terrible.

He does jump higher every time his head grows, he also gets floatier too. With a max sized head you can get across the screen with one kickfactor kick.

CancR

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 09:02:56 pm »
I know that, but im saying it needs to be buffed.  As is, even at max head height he barely gets higher then his default, let alone compared to other characters. At max head size he would be equal to a Dact.

Adelheid

• Fraud Detector
  • Total Domination
  • Mary Boppins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 02:57:48 pm »
ahahahahahahahaha

Jefailey, why are you so bad?

Argenrost

• Fraud Detector
  • Total Domination
  • Respectably Good with Redacted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 03:12:34 pm »
wat
Support the Skunk-Bear Army on my stream!
http://www.twitch.tv/argenrost

Follow me on Twitter to see when it goes up, I really appreciate the support!
@CasanovaSRK

Adelheid

• Fraud Detector
  • Total Domination
  • Mary Boppins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 03:35:06 pm »
Adam Heart ‏@TheKeits 10m
@AdelheidStark this is the result of the screen freeze sometimes advancing 1 frame past the hit.  We know about it

Well there you go, nevermind. I got the headshot, but a frame later he went into landing animation and appeared to have cleanly gotten out of the way, and it simply displayed wrong.

(Doesn't change the fact that it being completely impossible for Jefailey to make a hit that can't be parried is a significant issue that makes that matchup completely unwinnable though)

Throwback

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:10:14 pm »
I haven't even played much but surely there must be some incorrect statements here.

First, a high charge kick released low to the ground should be able to toetap.  Second, S-Kill's parry comes out in front of his head so I would have thought a correctly spaced kick from height could go over it & land on S-kill.

Third, you don't actually have to land a kick to win a round.  If S-Kill doesn't jump (and therefore become vulnerable during his kick/fall frames), he's not taking the mid line off you any time soon.

Not trying to downplay how hard this match is, I'm guessing it's pretty insane at skilled levels.