Author Topic: Forum rules, changes, mod request!  (Read 6216 times)

CaptainKeytar

• Administrator
  • Multikill
  • Technical Artist at Iron Galaxy Studios
    • View Profile
    • @CaptainKeytar
Forum rules, changes, mod request!
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:01:35 pm »
Hey everyone! Some quick forum business to go over. I hate long admin posts, so I'll keep it short:

• Respect each other!
    This is a discussion forum and things can get salty, but refrain from personal insults or any other hurtful language. Disagree with anyone all you want, just don't be disagreeable.

• The karma system will be removed!
    Not enough people care, and it's been prone to abuse. So: it's gone!

• Experienced mods wanted! - Update: mod quota filled, thanks everyone!
    We're looking for an experienced mod or two to help us keep this place in check. If you're interested, please send me a list of your moderating experience in other communities (forums, Reddit, ...), and your username for those communities.

If you have questions about this or any other forum-related topic, please send me a PM, or reply below. Thanks for reading, and thanks for participating in the Divekick forums! :D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:41:52 pm by CaptainKeytar »

enemyplayer

• Total Domination
  • wingtipped protips
    • View Profile
    • twitch.tv/justintrash
Re: Forum rules, changes, mod request!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:46:21 pm »
A little bit of history here: I used to sysop and moderate a highly popular and highly controversial hive of scum and villainy for a few years. My job was to keep things clean, organized and pretty much legal. It also involved telling people to chill out and handing out bans to problem makers and admittedly people I just didn't like. I'm not running for mod here since I'd prefer to take part in the discussion rather than be responsible for the behavior of others whom I have zero control over.

One thing I really didn't like was backseat moderation either. I have been talked to already by staff in regards to the Baz thread and have opted to remain civil because at the end of the day when the shakers are put away I'm really just here to discuss a game. So imagine my face when I receive not one but TWO messages WITHIN A MINUTE OF EACH OTHER asking me to play nice by people who are not moderators (edit: guess they are.) This problem was already long solved by the powers that be. What I am trying to say is that this isn't the time to flex your chops in lieu of those who are already on the job: this isn't a contest.

Unless you already got the positions which... thanks? I guess? Put the guns away? It's poor form when your first actions are to insert yourself into an already resolved conflict.

(tl:dr; great power/great responsibility etc. etc. please don't jump the starting line to do your job it is not that vital to the life of the community.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:59:03 pm by enemyplayer »

CaptainKeytar

• Administrator
  • Multikill
    • View Profile
    • @CaptainKeytar
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 02:11:27 pm »
I'll take the flak for this one.

We've assigned moderator duties to certain users who qualified, and we've set up an internal system to make sure multiple mods aren't dealing with the same issue. This system wasn't in place when you got those messages, which was an oversight by yours truly. It is now, so this shouldn't happen anymore. Sorry for the trouble!

This likely won't be the last time that something goes wonky. Some of this stuff is being figured out as we go, but we're doing our best. Keep providing feedback, and we'll keep listening and learning.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:14:30 pm by CaptainKeytar »

SuccinctAndPunchy

• On a Rampage
  • VIDEO GAMES ARE HARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:45:18 pm »
I'll take the flak for this one.

We've assigned moderator duties to certain users who qualified

But those users don't have any kind of neat flashy title thing to show they now do mod-esque stuff? It helps to differentiate between people who are actually mods and people who are just backseat modding (which is really annoying).

enemyplayer

• Total Domination
  • wingtipped protips
    • View Profile
    • twitch.tv/justintrash
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:16:49 pm »
Keytar apologized (as well as one of the new guys!) and I appreciate their efforts to let me know "oops hey we goofed." It's not a very big deal anymore since the cat has since exploded out of the bag and hopefully the Day 1 Mod jitters have subsided. I really just wanted to share my feelings in a hypocritical backseat moderation fashion that running to do your job is not the best course of action.

I like this place and I like you guys despite my noted history of abrasive multiposting. I think I could make do with publicly announcing that I won't go full ham on threads so nobody will have to act on them again. Preventative medicine, etc.

then3xus

• Total Domination
  • Download Complete!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 01:35:22 am »
But your posts make me laugh..... :'(

enemyplayer

• Total Domination
  • wingtipped protips
    • View Profile
    • twitch.tv/justintrash
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 02:43:45 am »
The posting will continue until I have rebalanced the world.

Which coincidentally contains this forum.

CaptainKeytar

• Administrator
  • Multikill
    • View Profile
    • @CaptainKeytar
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 03:33:38 pm »
I've given the new moderators tags so they're more easily distinguished:

I hope this clears it up!  ;D

SuccinctAndPunchy

• On a Rampage
  • VIDEO GAMES ARE HARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 04:04:24 pm »
I've given the new moderators tags so they're more easily distinguished:

I hope this clears it up!  ;D

Pretty cool. I dig it! Cheers, moderator dude for being quite speedy to respond to minor grumblings I have.

Antoshags

• Headshot
    • View Profile
Forum rules changes mod request
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 07:17:49 am »
Should I be embarrassed that I dont see the connection with those thread titles and the forum rules?

Antoshags

• Headshot
    • View Profile
Forum rules changes mod request
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 01:45:54 am »
I like the new changes but sometimes I end up forgetting where a sub-forum is.  Ill get used to it eventually.