Author Topic: Divekick WORLDWIDE  (Read 3807 times)

Whodigiya

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
Re: Divekick WORLDWIDE
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 01:40:37 pm »
Currently the issue with PC copies is that our guys in Shindand don't have a PC that works well enough to play the game (as in the USB ports are busted and there's no HDMI port to connect to the center's TVs). The USO here in Kandahar could use PC copies, although I fear that their computers are also just as cruddy. I'm the only one out here with decent equipment. In any case, I'll keep hosting the tournaments as long as I'm out here.

Whodigiya

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 03:14:24 pm »
DIVEKICK VIDEOS ARE UP!

Now there are pics AND vids of how hype you get the guys out here! Thanks for such a great and easy to get into game!

Sergeoff

• Total Domination
  • IGN: Kuchiki Toko / Toko
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 04:36:06 pm »
Those videos are great! You guys clearly had a great time there!

Pardon my immense ignorance as I'm saying this, but... It felt like most of the players didn't know you have an ability to kickback and use specials. They haven't done that once. I know that's a very bad thing to say, and I'm feeling like a dick pointing it out, but maybe you guys should read some Divekick guides, it will make the game much more enjoyable! Once again, I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:38:42 pm by Sergeoff »

parrythelightning

• Total Domination
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 04:42:16 pm »
Super hype! You guys have a great Shoals out there too. It's too bad he mains Kick.

Whodigiya

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 02:25:18 am »
Those videos are great! You guys clearly had a great time there!

Pardon my immense ignorance as I'm saying this, but... It felt like most of the players didn't know you have an ability to kickback and use specials. They haven't done that once. I know that's a very bad thing to say, and I'm feeling like a dick pointing it out, but maybe you guys should read some Divekick guides, it will make the game much more enjoyable! Once again, I'm sorry.

You're right, none of these players really know how to play the game, but please understand that what you're seeing is 19 people who have never touched Divekick before. In fact, most of these guys (if not all) really don't know how to play fighting games in general. These are all day one, completely new players (besides the few that have seen me playing from time to time). I pretty much tried to teach everyone the basics before the start of the event and people went from there. We're in Afghanistan: before I showed up advertising the tournament no one really knew what they were getting into. The fact is, skill aside, this game picked up more people than most other tournaments and was the most user friendly. It's also really hard for anyone to learn since we can't download it on the Playstations in the USO and I'm the only one who has it on my personal system. I want to get the game as much exposure as possible, because it gets people into other fighting games.

All that said, the players who DID learn the fastest won the tournament. It's a great evolution to watch. One player did have that great crouch ambush on Mr. N with Redacted. Everyone went crazy on that.

Super hype! You guys have a great Shoals out there too. It's too bad he mains Kick.

Hahahaa! Thanks! That Dr. Shoals was me and I actually do main her over Kick. the only reason why I refuse to play anyone else as my main for now is because I'm dressing up as Kick for a bunch of conventions later this year. I gotta rep my costume. I really feel like Kick could be a stronger character if they tweaked him a bit. Shoals just takes it for me.

Sergeoff

• Total Domination
  • IGN: Kuchiki Toko / Toko
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 11:09:37 am »
It's great to hear that Divekick is popular! And, well, if that was players' first exposure to the game, that's awesome!

If you guys are going to play the game any more  maybe you should show everyone the "How To Play" screens for their favourite characters :)

If you consider yourself a Dr. Shoals main, I might just have something in the works for you ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:13:38 pm by Sergeoff »

Whodigiya

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 09:00:18 pm »
The "how to play" comes afterwards. If anyone is really interested in the game they usually stick around and I show them the ropes. Many of these guys don't really have a fighting game background so even this game is a little daunting. I've had it expressed to me that there should be a Dive & Kick mode that's totally simplified (no specials or kick factor), because as it is the game is STILL complicated for people who've never touched a fighting game or just aren't all that great.

I can't really do a how to play before the tournament because there are waaay too many characters for that (yeah, seriously) and no one ever listens to me anyway. I always say "don't pick Kenny" and we always have a bunch of Kenny's running around complaining as to why their kick keeps changing. Having taught a variety of fighting games I can say I'm content hyping/advertising and then letting the students come to me.

Keits

• Administrator
  • Total Domination
  • Trouble Shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 11:33:03 am »
You don't need a special mode to play as Dive or Kick only.  You can simply agree to do so at the offset of your session/tournament. 

-G-

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 01:52:12 pm »
Having taught a variety of fighting games I can say I'm content hyping/advertising and then letting the students come to me.

That's the best way to do it. Give them a taste and let those who are hungry come to you.

Otherwise you'll waste precious time teaching people who don't have a desire to keep playing.

Whodigiya

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 12:02:12 am »
You don't need a special mode to play as Dive or Kick only.  You can simply agree to do so at the offset of your session/tournament.

That's true, but that won't keep kick factor from activating or people accidently mashing PARTY STARTER. I'm all about the party, though. ALL ABOUT IT.

Keits

• Administrator
  • Total Domination
  • Trouble Shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 11:31:33 am »
Kickfactor was in the original prototype of Divekick.  The only thing a potential prototype mode would turn off would be special techniques, but the game really isn't balanced once your disallow them so its not something we really want to do.

Whodigiya

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 02:20:29 pm »
Word, I understand that. The idea that was pitched to me was that only Dive and Kick would be playable in that mode. Personally, I think we all need to look into the Divekick scripture where it states, "no change will mar the one true game."

Whodigiya

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 08:11:37 am »
And we had another tournament!

This time we spent a little more time explaining the game and a lot of guys were asking where to get the game. Hopefully you'll get a few buyers here and there! It was a lot of fun.

Keits

• Administrator
  • Total Domination
  • Trouble Shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 02:21:25 pm »
Awesome work!  The balance patch is coming soon, too!

Whodigiya

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 04:16:38 pm »
Awesome work!  The balance patch is coming soon, too!

Yes, I plan on hosting a tournament to showcase the game right after it drops! The former champ, and USO staff member, greatly advocates Divekick here in Kandahar. I'll post the video of the finals as soon as I get back Stateside.