Author Topic: To "go in" or to not "go in"?  (Read 2376 times)

ImperiousRix

• Headshot
  • Y2K- The new KICK-llennium
    • View Profile
To "go in" or to not "go in"?
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:31:33 pm »
Hey all, first post.

I've been getting ripped up online for the last three days in Divekick, but I feel like I'm finally really narrowing down my main (after 15 head-stomping hours).

Anyway, I love Kick's mobility and the ease he can build meter with. It lets me maintain an exact spacing while building up to either New Angle or Kickfactor whenever my opponents back off.

However, I know Kick's main strength comes from his ability to effectively rush down an opponent, but I feel like I play him more as a "counter" character-- one who just tries to bait out my opponent's first move and react to it accordingly. I've found this works well against some characters (Kick mirror matches, Dr. Shoals, Dive) while it leads to me getting pushed to the wall and destroyed in other match-ups (Uncle Sensei, Mr. N, Redacted).

So my question is; should I play more aggressively? I like to maintain a constant spacing, but I find I sometimes get in trouble because I don't actually force a play from my opponent, oftentimes just content to react. I'll go for Party-Starter set-ups, but I rarely have the gumption to actively "attack" my opponent (except for very rare cases like when chasing down a Dr. Shoals kick or when fighting a turtling S-Kill).

What are your guy's recommendations? Should I stick with Kick, but be a bit more active on offense? Are there any specific gems or match-ups that might give me a bit more confidence to actively go on offense?

As a floundering online warrior, I bow before thy wisdom.

massi4h

• Headshot
    • View Profile
Re: To "go in" or to not "go in"?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:17:22 pm »
I find when I play as Kick, most of the time I'm not even touching the dive button. Kickback kick is to good for retreating, advancing and building meter. I use him as more of a counter-poker I guess. I start building meter and make the opponent want to come in, but that still depends on the matchup anyway.

ImperiousRix

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:32:20 pm »
I find when I play as Kick, most of the time I'm not even touching the dive button. Kickback kick is to good for retreating, advancing and building meter. I use him as more of a counter-poker I guess. I start building meter and make the opponent want to come in, but that still depends on the matchup anyway.

Sounds similar to how I play him, except I actually do throw in a dive or two for slight space adjustments, empty-jumps to bait out attacks and for long corner divekicks.

I can see him being totally viable, however, as purely a kickback/kick counter character.

then3xus

• Total Domination
  • Download Complete!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:05:30 am »
maybe you're just falling into unknown traps with your "rush down". Personally, kick feels more like a pressuring kinda guy. I'm always trying to put myself in a spot where my opponent is most uncomfortable.

Kick has some of the nastiest movement options in the game due to his kick speed.  The problem with kick is he has no op gimmicks unlike a lot of the roster. All we can really do is get into a advantageous position and we have the kick speed to put us there.

Kick's kick speed is so fast, getting the kick gem allows me to build meter like I had the meter gem.

I can understand not diving much with kick, it seems like he's most vulnerable in the air.
Both Kick & opponent are airborne + opponent has a better dive + opponent is in kicking range = Kick is eating a foot to the face

BackwardCap

• Administrator
  • Total Domination
  • The One True Player of The One True Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:51:08 pm »
Most Kicks I've seen have had the most success utilizing a bait and punish strategy while meter building when they can.

then3xus

• Total Domination
  • Download Complete!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:26:36 am »
After more matches today, I find myself using different strategies depending on MU. Prime example is shoals. I'll normally start out with a few quick kickback->kicks building meter and bating her to come just a little closer. If she approaches me too high, I'll get under her with 2-3  kickdashes and follow her aerial movement with more kickdashes lining up the front of my foot with the back of her head just waiting for her to drop in front of me with her back turned.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:10:05 am by then3xus »

ImperiousRix

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 09:07:17 pm »
After more matches today, I find myself using different strategies depending on MU. Prime example is shoals. I'll normally start out with a few quick kickback->kicks building meter and bating her to come just a little closer. If she approaches me too high, I'll get under her with 2-3  kickdashes and follow her aerial movement with more kickdashes lining up the front of my foot with the back of her head just waiting for her to drop in front of me with her back turned.

That's exactly how you have to play Shoals. Also; you have to be unafraid to just stay absolutely still in her kick "dead zone". There have been plenty of times a Shoals has barely cleared the top of my head only to land behind me, ready to be punished. It's a pretty big mind game, but I've also been headshotted a few times 'cause I misjudged the angle.