Author Topic: The Official Mr. N Matchup Thread  (Read 5690 times)

SuccinctAndPunchy

• On a Rampage
  • VIDEO GAMES ARE HARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Mr. N Matchup Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 03:26:47 pm »
I don't like my name being on something that also says "a bunch of casuals".

Filthy casual. Real men play Ranked ladder and nothing else.

then3xus

• Total Domination
  • Download Complete!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 04:29:41 pm »
I don't like my name being on something that also says "a bunch of casuals".
What's wrong with casuals? That's what they were right? They weren't ranked, tournament, or money matches. They were just ....matches. And I know I played at 100% because I like winning no matter what kind of match it is so those were all intense good games (at least for me), maybe some of those were pretty free for you but hey you're playing shoals. I'm mostly curious now why "a bunch of casuals" would be a bad thing.
[/quote]

Filthy casual. Real men play Ranked ladder and nothing else.
lmfao I gotta get manlier then. Is there a how-to on this?

Fuzzmosis

• Multikill
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 05:11:29 am »
Yeah, I think my problem was just my playstyle. Anyone who's played me notices I'm a very aggressive Mr. N. Which often has comically bad results.

Though I did just manage to Yolo Gem a 300 Shoals. I think it makes the matchup a bit silly, but he wasn't kick cancelling, which is still a pain in the ass to deal with.

MushroomGas

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 08:56:03 pm »
I didn't talk about Mr. N vs Uncle Sensei earlier because I agreed with TheCreaux's post, but now I'm finding Sensei to be Mr. N's most difficult matchup. I still think Mr. N doesn't really have a chance against a reasonable Markman, but at least he can hit Markman. There is virtually no way to approach Sensei without kickfactor, and even when you get it you'll be in tough. If he's in handstance he can go underneath you whenever you try to kill him from high above, and then kill you when you land past him with the superman/divepunch. If you try to kill him from up high when he is standing, he can kickback and then kill you with the divepunch because Mr. N kicks too vertically. The other option to attack him is to get close and then try to kill him from a medium jump height, but in either of his stances he can just divepunch you at an unreactable distance using Dive-Kara K~D if necessary. The only way I've had any success in the matchup (and it isn't much X_X) is to get KF, kick over the Sensei, and kill him when he tries to punish the miss, as if it were a "mistake". Sensei never even has to go in for the kill and risk dying because he can always hold the line against you if he pleases. He is also by far the hardest character to kill when he is concussed.

Tipzintrix explains it pretty well on the Sensei matchup thread, but I'd say he's way too generous to Mr. N. I would put the matchup at 8-2 for Sensei.

Sofaduel

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »
He is also by far the hardest character to kill when he is concussed.
I'd like some clarification here, if you wouldn't mind. Sensei's a big target and slow as all hell when concussed. Combine that with the fact that he can't stance change and it seems easy to hit him. He still dives high, I suppose, but still.
Steam ID: Sofaduel

Tipzntrix

• Multikill
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 11:30:38 pm »
I think it's a Mr.N specific problem to kill Sensei when concussed.  As long as Sensei always makes sure to go into straight standing stance, the superman can cover ground in front of him if you try to get in too close, while the kickback is perfect to punish you if you try to jump from too far away.

Fuzzmosis

• Multikill
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 09:05:06 pm »
It's official, I hate the Mr. N vs Shoals Matchup.

Not because it's unwinnable, but because Mr. N doesn't do anything in the matchup.

Shoals is under 0 pressure the entire time, unless she makes a mistake. Literarily, nothing you do as Mr. N forces Shoals to do anything that she can't do without effort.

Mr. N can take wins on a bad kick that isn't cancelled, or holding the line. Otherwise, you may as well not be even playing that match. You can't even get a quick inside kick, because attacking her inside (Getting underneath and kicking) when she's kicked is a hit ON you. Thanks fatty.

Damn. It's not fun to play a match where I may as well just afk for how much pressure I can apply. Even on hard matchups like Kung Pao or Sensei, my position and reactions matter. I may not be able to jump in against Kung Pao (Who has that rediculous half screen dead zone against Mr. N), but I can put her in the same position where she can't jump in, and if she wants meter, she needs to give me position. Against Shoals, I just wait for them to be an idiot.

If you go ultra close, her escape is about 3x faster than you can move forward. If you got there without getting kicked that is. On a low lag environment, I can land a kick in the tiny window I have when she's on her landing frames and thus, not dangerous for you to kick about once every 5 tries. Any lag at all, and it's not even worth it. Doesn't even give a positional advantage.
If you go ultra long, you're not going to force any mistakes. Or really do anything unless they are bad at Schoals.
So you want to go mid or long. Long has no pressure, but will get hits on a bad long range. Mid has some pretty big risks because her kick cancels your jump if you're late reacting, jumping first is a free kill or a wiffed kick, jumping back is a free kill for her, and standing still is a free kick for her.

Some venting, some seeking advice. Do I really need to play this matchup with a helmet, Dive Gem, and just fart at them and make them kick me?

Sergeoff

• Total Domination
  • IGN: Kuchiki Toko / Toko
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 03:42:01 am »
Top 10 Shoals reporting in.

First of all, let me preface the post with this: I haven't yet met a Mr. N player who would be able to win matches against me consistently. But that doesn't mean there is no way to get wins over Shoals. I'll try my best in compiling a list of recomendations for those who strive to beat white girls they can't hug.
  • Watch her moves. Meaning? In the first round do a couple fast kickback-kicks and be ready to GTFO as soon as you notice her going agressive (more often than not preceeded by a kickback for safety). Her further moves should give you a general idea of countering this exact Shoals player.
    • She goes in for a classic yolo-footdive: easily punished by diving right before she crosses your position (Plinkneto if needed) and landing straight onto her face (let's call this tech "facelanding").
    • She goes in for a yolo-footdive and flies over you: kickdash to her and hit her from behind. This results in either a hit (if she's still in the air or uses Brilliant Escape (BE)) or in a headshot (if she kickbacks).
    • She doublekicks right after diving: wait for her next move, this one is a basic opening but its still very important to note! If Shoals runs anything but meter gem, she'll get 2/3 of her meter with that move; that gives her an opportunity to use a self-cancelling Flight after her next kick (i.e. for a crossover-doublekick combo). If she goes for a yolo, you have to be ready for the turnaround and punish it by GTFO'ing right after the crossover followed by kicking her (she should be nearing the ground in a sharp kick by now).
    • She goes for an instant divekick: that's a cheese strat commonly used against characters known for kickdashing. Countered by kickback-late kick.
  • Kickdash a lot. Shoals is the air queen, and Mr. N, no matter how fabulous he thinks he is, won't compete with her for that rank any time soon. What he can compete for, however, is ground control. In order to be successful in kickdashing against Shoals, you have to learn that sometimes diving a little bit higher than your minimum dive hight is better for countering her.
  • Falling Marneto kills you more than it saves. Neutral jumps against Shoals are winnable only if you float upwards.

I feel like I have to add a lot more to that list (e.g. more BE shenanigans), but I sadly can't do that at the moment. Let's sum it up with the following: faceland as much as possible, this makes us angry and unstable which, in turn, gives you more breathing room.

P.S.: Shoals' Kickfactor is IMO worthless, but her Dizzy is dangerous (esp. against Mr. N and KP), watch out for that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:55:28 am by Sergeoff »

MushroomGas

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 07:12:03 pm »
Mr. N v Shoals is the easiest matchup in the game for Mr. N in my opinion. (I am #1 Mr. N, ~600pts)

Just approach low and get kickfactor, if Shoals goes up, decide whether you can get over top or if you have to go underneath. No matter how difficult is seems to be to hit Shoals, she has a much harder time hitting you. Also, Shoals should never really be able to get kickfactor herself because she needs to use her specials to avoid being hit.

Would be glad to play either side of the matchup to prove my reasoning, Steam name: MushroomGas

-G-

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 09:43:03 am »
Mr. N v Shoals is the easiest matchup in the game for Mr. N in my opinion. (I am #1 Mr. N, ~600pts)

Just approach low and get kickfactor, if Shoals goes up, decide whether you can get over top or if you have to go underneath. No matter how difficult is seems to be to hit Shoals, she has a much harder time hitting you. Also, Shoals should never really be able to get kickfactor herself because she needs to use her specials to avoid being hit.

Would be glad to play either side of the matchup to prove my reasoning, Steam name: MushroomGas

I still honestly don't know. I don't think anyone has really scratches the surface for either character. Theoretically, a good Shoals should never be in a bad position. Theoretically, neither should Mr. N.

Kerahime was doing a fine job of unearthing Shoals tech but we haven't seen or heard from him outside of his local scene.