Author Topic: Markman prefers to play with items on (The Search Thread)  (Read 2352 times)

Extra Salty

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
Markman prefers to play with items on (The Search Thread)
« on: September 19, 2013, 01:25:32 pm »
While all characters benefit from their specials, few need them as much as Markman needs his Search. While being a fairly solid character on his own, those items (not to mention his KickBox) will turn the tides in his favor. Be warned, they can harm you as much as your opponent.

Know when to dig!: Keep in mind how much distance your foe can/will cover if you use Search. And NEVER use it if S-Kill has enough meter for Trick. But let's get to the items.

KickBox pieces: Does nothing to affect the stage. Getting headshotted does not remove them, but will get rid of your upkick mode once you have all three. Upkick is a nice move, but this is not the thread for that.

Oil: Gotta love that low friction. Slide towards the opponent while staying on the ground, push yourself back while digging for an item. Opponents with low-mid angles (Kung Pao, Uncle Sensei, Dive and Kick) will be able to use the oil as easily, however. Not that many of them do.

Chemistry (Stank Cloud): If your meter is low, it's practically a shield against people that like to build meter (Kick will flat out avoid you 9 times out of 10). Otherwise it proves as a good obstacle for them to avoid, making themselves vulnerable in getting around it. Laying one where they start is a major plus.

Glue: One part obstacle, two parts trap. You'll need to stay close if you want to catch them, however. Doubly good against people who have their meters full.

Spring: Same as glue, timing is vital for this item. Getting on it yourself allows for a mean (though easy to see) low kick. Brutal against people with small angled kicks (Redacted and Mr. N, for example). And to the Baz that guy is lost as all hell on that thing. Otherwise just an obstacle/hindrance. Decent at throwing people off guard if they land on it, though.

Hole: Gotta be careful with this thing. An anti-spring for those small-angled kickers, who will stomp on you with ease if you are both in there. Otherwise, it gives you height enough so not even S-Kill is safe. High jumps are at high risk though, as you can get stuck hugging the wall for a few seconds. Having feint available is always a plus. But the hole's best property is its gravity. Opponents have to either kick away from it or choose to get sucked in. The latter gives you a window of opportunity for an easy headshot, since they are both partially into the hole (shorter) and cannot do anything about it until they fall through. If any of the items are as dangerous as they are beneficial, it's this one.

CanadianBaconz

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
Re: Markman prefers to play with items on (The Search Thread)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 01:34:58 pm »
I feel like the first line of this post is dreadfully inaccurate. If you took away his ground special completely, Markman would still probably be the absolute best character because of how safe and fast his kbk is, and his ridiculous control when he has feint. In at least half of his matchups, time spent digging would be better spent building meter for feint/kf.

Mundungu

• Multikill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 02:32:15 pm »
I agree with CanadianBaconz.  In fact, I don't use items, and think he's the best character in the game.

I would love to hear about some strategies / setups you use with items.  I'd like items to be better, but I just think they're too expensive right now.

cHuT

• Multikill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 03:43:05 pm »
I feel like the first line of this post is dreadfully inaccurate. If you took away his ground special completely, Markman would still probably be the absolute best character because of how safe and fast his kbk is, and his ridiculous control when he has feint. In at least half of his matchups, time spent digging would be better spent building meter for feint/kf.

Hell, Markman would be better because I wouldn't get all those god damn accidental items. haha

Solohan50

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 12:18:21 pm »

Hell, Markman would be better because I wouldn't get all those god damn accidental items. haha

^^^  This, 100 times.  I can't tell you how many times I've gone to do a quick dive-kick forward and instead item search into a headshot.

Ryyudo

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 02:45:16 am »
I agree with CanadianBaconz.  In fact, I don't use items, and think he's the best character in the game.

I would love to hear about some strategies / setups you use with items.  I'd like items to be better, but I just think they're too expensive right now.

One set up I look for against Shoals is to get Oil in the middle of the stage.  This is a godsend as it allows me an insta-in against her in ranges she cannot attack Markman at by using a low dive-kick to slide on the oil and an item search if you need to carry momentum.  The thing with Shoals is she can't punish an opening gambit Item Search (assuming she's not Kick-Factored, but even then) as Markman can kickback and is hard/impossible to reach.

One thing I like to do against meter builders is throw out Science then kickback, giving the opponent little room to move/build.  If they move forward, I'll kick back at the same time to take screen position away from them.  This is not as good with the Baz as he barely moves :(.

If I'm on opponent's side and they have the line and time is running low, I will move into position to set up items for the next round.  This avoids the danger of having to go in, headshots, etc.  And if I find one I like, THEN I can go in.

I have decent timing down with opponent who falls into a black hole and how to punish on their first fall-through assuming they don't trigger-finger out of there.  If they do though, Markman is at least safe, though in the hole.

Items are somewhat random, yes, but I think a part of the game is learning how to use each one per situation and not fishing what ONLY what you want.  That'll get you killed. 

Fatalis

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 02:48:42 pm »
Items are very situational, the only two matchups I really use them in are vs. Redacted and Mr.N.

Extra Salty

• Double Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 05:28:51 pm »

Recently I've been fond of getting items in the corner. Either keeps them there (glue, spring), or makes them leave (stank cloud, hole).

Setting an item where you spawn is risky, but I'll go for it. Oil lets you slide back while searching and/or move forward on the ground. Hole is pretty good (especially against high diving characters) but there's the risk of hitting the wall early if you kick too high.  Spring is more tricky (and just the worst if you get concussed). I've found some use in getting people while they approach, though. Science and Glue are generally things to avoid. However, many non-Markman players mess up on the timing, getting themselves stuck instead of kicking you if they try to attack from afar.

(It seems Search does not have a lot of love in this thread. I concede that it leaves you uber-vulnerable for a period of time, and the payoff rarely makes up for it. The closest thing I can relate this move to would have to be how Daigo is fond of his crazy uppercuts. Search is more about altering your opponent's train of thought for at least a few seconds, or severely punishing them if they don't i.e. Redacted heading onto a spring willy-nilly).

Sergeoff

• Total Domination
  • IGN: Kuchiki Toko / Toko
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 12:55:49 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-5T-wnDJZg
Got some Search Slide stuff recorded for you guys.