Author Topic: Redacted Advanced Techniques  (Read 5991 times)

Sentient_Keyboard

• Headshot
    • View Profile
Redacted Advanced Techniques
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:47:19 pm »
(Moderator Edit: Tightened up some descriptions and added the new Cornered Beast glitch to the IP, to keep things nice and organized.)

First off, let me state that I'm a terrible Redacted player, and that I can't effectively utilize these techniques in an actual battle. Some of the listed uses might not be viable in an real match.

Some of these techniques are already known, others are not. I just wanted to have a central thread to discuss them. Also, some of these techniques are kinda weird and could be unintentional, and as such may be removed in patches. Maybe some Iron Galaxy folks can weigh in on this?

Feral Dive (backwards dive) and Feral Kick (backwards kick)
Input: Enter Feral Stance, release Dive while continuing to hold Kick, press Dive again.
Description: You will jump facing away from your opponent. A Feral Dive does not auto-correct. This means that if your opponent jumps over you while you are in Feral Stance and you do a Feral Dive, you will jump facing your opponent, not facing away from them. If you kick from this jump, you will kick away from your opponent; this will be referred to as a Feral Kick.
Use: The Feral Dive itself doesn't have a lot of uses (however, it does cover your normally very exposed head behind your back); the real use of this technique is the ability to kick backwards. The Feral Kick can function as an alternative kickback. At max height, Feral Kicking takes you about 8 feet back, whereas a normal kickback takes you back only 5 (9/5 feet with Dive Gem, 11/6 feet with YOLO Gem). On top of that, it also builds meter. Since it takes longer to perform than a kickback and doesn't move you backwards initially, it's not as useful as a way to avoid an incoming attack. However, it can be used to move backwards faster while also building a little meter. Another use is to bait an opponent into kicking your Feral Dive, then using your Feral Kick to avoid the attack and quickly punish by doing a low kick.

Dive Feint
Input: Dive, then immediately Kick (similar to plinking).
Description: You will appear to dive for a fraction of a second before going into Feral Stance.
Use: You can trick your opponent into thinking you are going to dive, either to bait him or scare him away. However, it's over so quickly that your opponent might not even register it.

Reverse Feral Stance
Input: Enter Feral Stance, let go of Dive while continuing to hold Kick, press Dive again, then immediately Kick (similar to plinking). In other words, feign a Feral Dive.
Description: It combines the effect of the above two techniques. From Feral Stance, you feign a dive facing away from the opponent to go into Feral Stance facing away from the opponent. Feral Dives from this position will be facing forward again (you reversed twice).
Use: Since a Feral Dive from this position is the same a normal jump, this stance doesn't seem to have much use over a normal Feral Stance. You can perform this trick in quick succession though, constantly switching from normal to reverse Feral Stance, which is a fun way to taunt the opponent.

Instant Kickback-Kick (This technique no longer works in AE.)
Input: Kick, then immediately Dive (similar to plinking).
Description: You will do a kickback and immediately kick (which is strange, as Dive doesn't normally activate a kick). This technique works for most characters, but is the most pronounced for Redacted since her dive and kickback are so fast and vertical.
Use: Kick-Dive comes out a fraction of a second quicker than Kick-Kick, because you don't have to press, release and again press a single button. It also comes out quicker than Dive-Kick, because if you perform the latter too quickly, you might instead feign a dive as described above.

Cornered Beast Climb (This technique no longer works in AE because of the change in Cornered Beast's mechanics.)
Input: Perform Cornered Beast (wall jump), then when disengaging from the wall immediately perform it again.
Description: You will stick to the wall again immediately after disengaging, and perform another wall jump. This gains you a bit of extra height.
Use: This technique can be used to attack from higher than a normal Cornered Beast, or simply stick to the wall a little longer, in order to trick your opponent expecting a normal Cornered Beast.

Empty Cornered Beast (This technique no longer works in AE because of the change in Cornered Beast's mechanics.)
Input: During your opponent's Kickfactor activation or Jefailey's Timer Scam (or anything that zooms the camera in on your opponent), perform Cornered Beast quickly as the camera zooms out.
Description: You will be able to execute Cornered Beast without needing to be at the edge of the screen!
Use: ?

Forward Jump
Input: See here: http://divekick.com/forum/index.php?topic=1206.0.
Description: Redacted jumps toward the wall in front of her instead of the wall behind her.
Use: You will rarely (if ever) actually reach the opposite wall this way, but it lets you quickly and surprisingly gain a lot of ground in a way Redacted normally can't. Extremely useful for aggressive plays in the mirror match and possibly in other match-ups where horizontal spacing is more important than height leverage.

So, let's use this thread to discuss these techniques and their uses, and inform others of new ones. Thanks for reading!

Also, -G-, feel free to do a video about these, all your previous ones have been great!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:30:01 pm by Argenrost »

BackwardCap

• Administrator
  • Total Domination
  • The One True Player of The One True Game
    • View Profile
Re: Redacted advanced techniques
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 06:57:19 pm »
I like to call her backwards jump "Feral Dive" and her subsequent kick "Feral Kick". They're both very useful to know how to use for various situations.

Sentient_Keyboard

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:59:55 pm »
I like to call her backwards jump "Feral Dive" and her subsequent kick "Feral Kick". They're both very useful to know how to use for various situations.

That's a great shorthand, a lot less awkward. I'll update the OP with it.

REDACTED

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:55:26 pm »
Great thread, and some awesome tech. There's some tricks I want to try out with Cornered Beast that I'll post later if I think they're worth anything. I'd love to get more use out of it, but the climb for it is the best use for it as of now by far.

I laugh at the free wins who say Redacted is low tier
Guess I got my badger back

Sentient_Keyboard

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 11:12:52 pm »
Totally forgot to add a dumb but amusing technique I found, the reverse Feral Stance:

Reverse Feral Stance
Input: Go into Feral Stance, let go of dive while continuing to hold kick, press dive again, then immediately kick (similar to plinking). In other words, feign a feral jump.
Description: It combines the effect of the above two techniques. From Feral Stance, you feign a jump facing away from the opponent to go into Feral Stance facing away from the opponent. Feral jumps from this position will be facing forward again (you reversed twice).
Use: Since a Feral jump from this position is the same a normal jump, this stance doesn't seem to have much use over a normal Feral Stance. You can do this trick it in quick succession though, constantly switching from normal to reverse Feral Stance, which is a fun way to taunt the opponent.

Added it to the OP.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:23:28 pm by Sentient_Keyboard »

BackwardCap

• Administrator
  • Total Domination
  • The One True Player of The One True Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 07:16:56 am »
That sounds freaking hilarious to do, I shall call it the "Feral Feral Stance".

Renaard

• Double Kill
  • Taking the worst decision possible, every round.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 07:20:54 am »
I laugh at the free wins who say Redacted is low tier

The #1 Kung Pao said it. :(

I guess every char is low tier compared to Kung Pao

Argenrost

• Fraud Detector
  • Total Domination
  • Respectably Good with Redacted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 02:50:40 pm »
My recent game experience is showing that Kung Pao is probably Redacted's worst match-up as of late, but it's not a significant disadvantage. Personally I think almost everyone who plays this game severely underestimates Redacted as a character, and I make it my goal to prove them wrong. I have some ideas on how to fight Kung Pao that I need to test, but as I learn more I will keep everyone posted in my match-up thread.

On a more related note, thanks for posting this thread. I knew about the Feral Stance stuff but there are a couple of neat little tricks I didn't know about before. I'll see if we can make these work to our advantage somehow.
Support the Skunk-Bear Army on my stream!
http://www.twitch.tv/argenrost

Follow me on Twitter to see when it goes up, I really appreciate the support!
@CasanovaSRK

Argenrost

• Fraud Detector
  • Total Domination
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 06:18:28 pm »
Hey guys, just wanted to note something interesting I found about the Dive Feint, a.k.a. "the plague of my existence".

Turns out there's a field in Redacted's "data" XML file that specifically targets this effect. I don't remember the name of the field, but it's something along the lines of the frame window to cancel from a dive into Feral Stance. I'm assuming this was included because there needs to be a window of input leniency to perform Feral Stance easily. The specified value is 4, which I assume to mean 4 frames.

Knowing this I kinda wish the input window was only 2-3 frames, accidental Dive Feints get me killed so many times at crucial moments.

@CasanovaSRK

CanadianBaconz

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 12:19:20 pm »
My recent game experience is showing that Kung Pao is probably Redacted's worst match-up as of late, but it's not a significant disadvantage. Personally I think almost everyone who plays this game severely underestimates Redacted as a character, and I make it my goal to prove them wrong. I have some ideas on how to fight Kung Pao that I need to test, but as I learn more I will keep everyone posted in my match-up thread.

On a more related note, thanks for posting this thread. I knew about the Feral Stance stuff but there are a couple of neat little tricks I didn't know about before. I'll see if we can make these work to our advantage somehow.

As a Kung Pao, Redacted is honestly a pretty tough match-up for me. Since the discovery and now continued use of the feral stance techs, things have gotten to be a lot riskier.

Before, Kung Pao had essentially 2 big places where she could go hard on Redacted; when Red is advancing too hard, or when she's standing still too close(Not necessarily the unreactable range, somewhat further than that.), where Kung can Divekick high without fear of punishment. Redacted could duck under the high DK easily with FS, but then she had no real follow up, and Kung is in a good spot to keep the pressure on.

Now, if you try to do that, Redacted is in a perfect position to Feral Divekick you right in the face. If you try to go low instead of high to avoid this, you're setting yourself up for Red to either DK or KK punish you with ease, possibly resulting in HS. To land a safe attack now, you need to be Kicking at a very particular range and height to hit the sweet spot of being high enough for at least the KK react not to hit, while still being able to hit them if they go Feral instead. That's a very hard thing to do.

So that leaves the overaggressive advance to punish for. Because of Red's ridiculous speed, she spends the vast majority of her time on the ground, where she has her options. So, it's very hard to land a punish on reaction if they stay mobile, and catch them in the air while they're diving or kicking. That means that the game is all about reads, although against a lower level player those reads are easy. For Kung Pao, who is primarily a reactionary punishment character, this takes some time to adapt to.

Because of the way Redacted works, Kung Pao does have some strange options in the matchup, like Ground Special dodges, but because it plays out differently, this is one Kung needs to get a lot of practice in for higher levels.

I would still probably rate the matchup in Kung's favour, but it's a hard fought one, and not a major advantage. I wouldn't rate it higher than a 6-4. No cruise control on this one.

Argenrost

• Fraud Detector
  • Total Domination
    • View Profile
Re: Redacted Advanced Techniques
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 03:42:59 pm »
I'd say that's a highly accurate representation of the match-up, I agree with you entirely.  :) It's definitely in Kung Pao's favor but only about a 6-4 like you said. Lots of risks that need to be taken on both sides.

@CasanovaSRK

MikeIsMyIke

• Total Domination
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 02:38:07 am »
I have no idea how to get the backwards feral stance to work....I just end up back in a normal stance. I've got the fake kick, instant kickback kick, double wall grab down....this one just escapes me =(

Keits

• Administrator
  • Total Domination
  • Trouble Shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 08:48:19 pm »
Hold both buttons to crouch.
Release the DIVE button, but keep holding the KICK button.
Tap the DIVE button again whenever you desire.

Did you see Ronaldo take 3rd in the hardest Divekick tournament of all time yesterday with Redacted, no counterpicking?

MikeIsMyIke

• Total Domination
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 02:24:18 am »
Oh I had the backwards kick down, I was going for the backwards feral stance. I think I have it down now though ;-)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=213693481

Or even better:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=213700836
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:54:29 am by MikeIsMyIke »

Sergeoff

• Total Domination
  • IGN: Kuchiki Toko / Toko
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 02:24:29 pm »
I"ve got something entirely useless for you skunkboys.
Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZVwceJzohM