Poll

Kick Needs Buffs, Don't You Think?

Yes, his AE incarnation compares very poorly to the rest of the cast.
4 (57.1%)
No, I think his AE incarnation is fine.
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Kick Needs Buffs, Don't You Think?  (Read 1679 times)

4Leaf

Kick Needs Buffs, Don't You Think?
« on: May 10, 2014, 10:18:17 pm »
If Kick is going to maintain his identity as the 'Ken' of DiveKick (meant for aggressive play), I think his Party Starter should be reverted to its vanilla form (viable from half screen away and inducing a longer dizzy state).

Why do I say this?

(01) His low dive height combined with his -45 degree angle kick means he has to be at close midrange to be a threat to anybody. But by the same token it also means he has to expose himself to headshot attempts in order to win rounds. He needs something to protect himself while going in.

(02) His low kickback height (outside of Kickfactor) makes his kickback kick counters very poor. The most you can hope for with them is toe tags. Compare that to the majority of the other cast characters (Dive, Jebailey, Kenny, Kung Pao, Markman, Mr. N, Redacted, S-Kill, Stream, The Baz, Uncle Sensei) who can headshot off of their kickback kick. If he's going to retain this drawback, he should at least have something to compensate with.

(03) Party Starter's current version compares poorly to the other Ground Specials (excepting Crack Kick) in terms of power and/or versatility.

(04) The other cast characters can kick cancel from their Air Specials, giving them the ability to mix up. New Angle Kick is an all-in attack/escape, and the only thing it has going for it is its unreactability. Once again, I think Kick should have something in exchange to compensate for this.

Your thoughts? 

parrythelightning

• Total Domination
    • View Profile
Re: Kick Needs Buffs, Don't You Think?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 10:45:30 pm »
Party Starter is better now though ?_?

Gunthor the Perilous

• Total Domination
  • Neck snap!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 05:05:29 am »
Personally, I think he's just fundamentally flawed. In a game where height leverage is king, "kick" and "kick faster" being your only standout qualities, with the lowest jump in the game, make you more of a laughing stock than Jefaily.

4Leaf

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 11:13:21 am »

Party Starter is better now though ?_?

[ + ] Party Starter now bounces the opponent at a 33% higher velocity.

Okay, should've checked this out first.

Watching 2013 tourney vids though, Party Starter's horizontal range seemed to be much greater. And the dizzy state lasted longer.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:15:43 am by 4Leaf »

MikeIsMyIke

• Total Domination
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:15:40 pm »
depends on the gravity of the character getting party started. Characters like redacted are hardly effective because she falls so quickly.

-G-

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 08:45:24 pm »
He's got a straightforward yet solid playstyle, Party Starter wrecks a ton of characters if it hits, and counters god-tier Stream. He's still very relevant.