Author Topic: Kenny special thoughts  (Read 1072 times)

parrythelightning

• Total Domination
    • View Profile
Kenny special thoughts
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:40:40 pm »
Hi, I don't think the character actually needs changes. I just had random thoughts about Kenny's specials.

Kenny's ground special is something that a player uses intentionally like once per 100 games. Why not replace it with something that would be used more often? One concept for this would be to change stances, like the similar character in Tekken can do. This might lead to  unfun gameplay where the Kenny player spends his time trying to reroll instead of trying to win, though, so we can probably come up with something better.

Kenny's air special is weird. We would kind of expect using the move as a two-step cancel to cost *more* than using it as an actual move, but in this case the cancel is free and the real move costs all of your meter. What would Kenny be like if we reversed that, so cancelling spirit bullet would cost a ton of meter, but using spirit bullet "normally" would cost very little?

Sergeoff

• Total Domination
  • IGN: Kuchiki Toko / Toko
    • View Profile
Re: Kenny special thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 01:05:27 am »
The similar character in Tekken, Mokujin, can not change stances mid-fight. He's the real random. Do you by any chance mean Shang Tsung of MK?

Not letting go of the bullet is nothing but a Feint unless you cross your enemy up, and that actually takes some skill to use, as in takes skill to kill your enemy using that thing alone. The stunbullet, on the other hand, chases the enemy down and makes him your bitch, ez pz.

The only change I would propose is to not drain my whole bar for the stun if I would've killed the enemy anyways, but that's minor. Buffs and nerfs are ResidentSleeper in general.

parrythelightning

• Total Domination
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 01:18:50 am »
The similar character in Tekken, Mokujin, can not change stances mid-fight. He's the real random. Do you by any chance mean Shang Tsung of MK?
Unknown can change stances mid-fight. There are like 20 similar characters in Tekken, so I could have been more specific.

Not letting go of the bullet is nothing but a Feint unless you cross your enemy up, and that actually takes some skill to use, as in takes skill to kill your enemy using that thing alone. The stunbullet, on the other hand, chases the enemy down and makes him your bitch, ez pz.
Yeah, it's just a better feint when it doesn't auto-correct. I do enjoy paying 0 meter for a better feint that also auto-corrects.

Most characters have good counterplay for the projectile (half the time "getting frozen at the apex of your jump" is good counterplay), such that I often feel I have an easier time getting kills with the feint. Not sure on the relative power of the feint and the projectile. If the projectile is too good, we could give it a small fixed duration.

The only change I would propose is to not drain my whole bar for the stun if I would've killed the enemy anyways, but that's minor. Buffs and nerfs are ResidentSleeper in general.
The game doesn't know that tho D:

Sergeoff

• Total Domination
  • IGN: Kuchiki Toko / Toko
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 04:19:52 am »
Unknown can change stances mid-fight. There are like 20 similar characters in Tekken, so I could have been more specific.

Oh, you meant her TTT1 iteration. I didn't know she used to be like that, thanks for pointing that out. Unknown is a worse Jun in TTT2, and nothing else.

Yeah, it's just a better feint when it doesn't auto-correct. I do enjoy paying 0 meter for a better feint that also auto-corrects.
Most characters have good counterplay for the projectile (half the time "getting frozen at the apex of your jump" is good counterplay), such that I often feel I have an easier time getting kills with the feint. Not sure on the relative power of the feint and the projectile. If the projectile is too good, we could give it a small fixed duration.

The counterplay is here, indubitably. Plus its effectiveness diminishes against higher diving characters (I do believe I use the ground special more in these cases).
I think that free Feint is exactly the reason why Kenny is such a strong character. Bullets matter too, of course, but their power relies on your ability to farm meter, which isn't always easy - Gat, for example, apparently has a very agressive playstyle, and you won't be able to farm much against a potent JG.

The game doesn't know that tho D:

What I wanted to say is this:
As soon as the bullet connects, all your meter disappears. What if the remaining meter would be drained over the course of that one second during which your opponent is stunned? This would count as a buff, since you'd be able to preserve some of your meter if you kill the enemy while they're immobilized.