Author Topic: Kenny's matchups?  (Read 2544 times)

Sefazures

• Headshot
    • View Profile
Kenny's matchups?
« on: September 28, 2013, 02:48:39 pm »
Even though he's random, I don't think it's impossible to think up matchups. Since he has a set number of stances, and each stance has a different matchup vs each character, the average of all of his stances should = the overall matchup, right?

I'm thinking he probably has bad matchups vs the top tiers (since less of his stances can deal with them) and better matchups vs low tiers.

I'm not the best at this game (I tend to go even with wins/losses and I'm free to Dive), but I'll put up my matchup guesses for discussion anyway:

Kenny vs Shoals: 3-7
Kenny vs Dive: 4-6
Kenny vs S-Kill: 4-6
Kenny vs Markman: 4-6
Kenny vs Kick: 5-5
Kenny vs Kung Pao: 5-5
Kenny vs Redacted: 5-5
Kenny vs Kenny: 5-5
Kenny vs Stream: 5-5
Kenny vs Baz: 6-4
Kenny vs Jefailey: 7-3

Anyone got any ideas?

SuccinctAndPunchy

• On a Rampage
  • VIDEO GAMES ARE HARD
    • View Profile
Re: Kenny's matchups?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:57:17 pm »
the average of all of his stances should = the overall matchup, right?

Not exactly, this would work in theory if Kenny were a straight Mokujin but Spirit Bullet has certainly really unique properties that help or hurt the stances.

S-Kill stance for instance, is way shittier for Kenny due to the lack of Parry and Trick. Meanwhile a stance I've found to be surprisingly potent with Kenny is something like Sensei or Redacted where he can cancel the kick in mid-air with spirit bullet to maintain height and then kick out of the animation to use no meter, or expend the meter to maintain height but move yourself backwards, which honestly probably makes Kenny better at certain stances than their actual characters because that skill is an extremely powerful tool if you can get it down.

Sefazures

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 04:31:50 pm »
Yeah I know, I took Spirit Bullet into account. I didn't mean Kenny's matchups would be an average of how the rest of the cast matches up vs a character, I mean Kenny's matchups would be an average of how each of his stances would match up against a particular character.

Since like you said, Kenny's stances are practically unique characters because of Spirit Bullet and the lack of their specials. My point was that Kenny would still struggle against some characters because some of his stances can't deal with them. Like how Shoals would be a bad matchup because Jefailey stance = instant loss (since I can't see spirit bullet helping much there), Kung Pao stance = disadvantage, etc. If that makes sense, lol.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:47:43 pm by Sefazures »

then3xus

• Total Domination
  • Download Complete!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 11:03:15 pm »
speaking of spirit bullet, can Kenny immediately kick out of air special in any stance or just some of them?

Sofaduel

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:40:11 am »
speaking of spirit bullet, can Kenny immediately kick out of air special in any stance or just some of them?
Kenny can cancel from Spirit Bullet into kick at any time in any stance except for Dr. Shoals, Stream (outside of a nifty glitch), and S-Kill.  For the latter two, I assume this has something to do with the fact that they're double jump characters. For Shoals stance to not have this ability, though, I don't understand. It makes one of his worst stances (in my opinion) even worse.  :-\
Steam ID: Sofaduel

RorschachDM

• Total Domination
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 12:10:21 am »
Kenny can cancel from Spirit Bullet into kick at any time in any stance except for Dr. Shoals, Stream (outside of a nifty glitch), and S-Kill.  For the latter two, I assume this has something to do with the fact that they're double jump characters. For Shoals stance to not have this ability, though, I don't understand. It makes one of his worst stances (in my opinion) even worse.  :-\

Do we have any idea why this is? Is it just a glitch or was it balance related? Seems a bit strange.
Main: Kick
Planning to learn: Uncle Sensei

SteamID: DMSHAA
Steam Name: RorschachDM
PSN: RorschachDM

Check out the Online Events section of the forums!

parrythelightning

• Total Domination
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 01:37:30 am »
Shoals probably can't do it because she is the "double kick" character.  This stuff should be buffed though.  Shoals stance is completely awful and S-Kill stance is pretty bad.

Sofaduel

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 01:48:33 am »
Shoals probably can't do it because she is the "double kick" character.  This stuff should be buffed though.  Shoals stance is completely awful and S-Kill stance is pretty bad.
Agreed. I want those three stances to be able to Spirit Bullet cancel freely (but of course I'm pretty biased).

Ionalien

• Multikill
  • The One True Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 12:28:52 pm »
I think we should less about matchups and more about strategies with the characters as Kenny against others, or just in general. The fact that he lacks others specials and has his own should change how he fights, right?
Ion Kenny is best Kenny

Sofaduel

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 03:01:40 am »
I think we should less about matchups and more about strategies with the characters as Kenny against others, or just in general. The fact that he lacks others specials and has his own should change how he fights, right?
Yeah, to an extent. I mean, some matchups are kind of the same, I think (sorta). In terms of strategy, the first thing I tend to do is make sure I have enough meter for Spirit Bullet (after figuring out who I am, of course). I feel much safer when I have that meter stocked, just in case I can use it to get a hit or save my skin. After that, depending on the characters in play, I'll either try to pressure them a bit, just wait for a neutral jump face-off (which Kenny excels at due to the bullet being able to alter your falling speed and push you back, if needed), or build more meter and wait patiently for them to rush in. Or, if you know what stance you're in and you think they don't, you can bait them into coming in and then punishing them. I know this is kind of vague, but it's most of what I do most of the time.

TimmyTukey

• Double Kill
  • Breakfast is for Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 10:39:36 am »

Kenny vs Shoals: 3-7
Kenny vs Dive: 4-6
Kenny vs S-Kill: 4-6
Kenny vs Markman: 4-6
Kenny vs Kick: 5-5
Kenny vs Kung Pao: 5-5
Kenny vs Redacted: 5-5
Kenny vs Kenny: 5-5
Kenny vs Stream: 5-5
Kenny vs Baz: 6-4
Kenny vs Jefailey: 7-3

I just noticed that Mr. N and Uncle Sensei are missing from the list, lol.  I'd put the Kenny vs. Mr. N matchup at 6-4 and the Kenny vs. Sensei matchup at 4-6.

Those are both based entirely off personal experience.  Spirit Bullet is extremely effective against the big-bodied Mr. N and tips the match in Kenny's favor.  On the other hand, I feel like the Sensei matchup should be closer to 5-5, but I find myself losing regularly to good Sensei players (all 3 of them).  I don't pretend to be one of the best Kennys, so perhaps its just my own unfamiliarity with the Sensei matchup.
Characters I play in AE: Kenny/Stream/Jefailey
Steam Name: TimmyTukey

Sofaduel

• On a Rampage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 12:13:09 am »
Spirit Bullet is extremely effective against the big-bodied Mr. N and tips the match in Kenny's favor.  On the other hand, I feel like the Sensei matchup should be closer to 5-5, but I find myself losing regularly to good Sensei players (all 3 of them).  I don't pretend to be one of the best Kennys, so perhaps its just my own unfamiliarity with the Sensei matchup.
I kinda agree. Spirit Bullet works as well against Mr. N, but I don't know if it's entirely due to his being big. The fact that he's pretty vertical can help (it can hurt too, however), though I primarily use it to hold myself in the air a bit longer to get in an advantageous position/counter Marneto. I've had difficulties with Sensei as well, so I don't think you're wrong there (least, in my personal experience, same as you). I'd like to think I'm one of the best Kennys, but to be honest, I don't know if I actually am.