Author Topic: Divekick Ultimate Pro Advantage Arcade Box+  (Read 2027 times)

shinken

• Headshot
    • View Profile
Divekick Ultimate Pro Advantage Arcade Box+
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:43:06 pm »
I decided to build my own Divekick controller! Why? Because I can (maybe ^_^)!
I want to go to the next level as well and betray the concept of the game by adding a third button(s)!

Introducing the Divekick Ultimate Pro Advantage Arcade Box+:

I got some experience by customizing the controllers I already got, but this will be my first one build from scratch, so i'll need some help eventually.
My first question to the controller building experts/ guys knowing controller building experts is:
Is the above configuration even realisable with currently available aftermarked parts like the Cthulhu PCB etc.?

shinken

• Headshot
    • View Profile
Re: Divekick Ultimate Pro Advantage Arcade Box+
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 09:24:00 pm »
I can already answer my first question to some extend after a bit of googling for PCBs :D.
There's a device called "Akishop PS360+ Multi-Console Joystick PCB" which has an open source firmware. To make it work, I would need to rewrite some parts of the firmware - like replacing some buttons with my stuff. I hope the code is already well documented, so I could use lots of copypaste and then some little code for my special implementation.

But implementing the buttons won't be trivial at all because you have to ensure alot of things:

D+K Button:
This one sounds easy right? Just make it register, let's say, both X and 0 (on a PS3)!

It's not that easy! Additionally the D+K button needs priority over the big D and big K buttons all the time! Example: If you hold both D+K and e.g. big D, big D will eventually overwrite the K because of its mutually exclusive nature so D+K doesn't work. And why the heck would you implement a new button when it doesn't work 100% of the time?! So D+K priority over the big buttons is crucial.

And here comes the first problem: To the console/PC the D from D+K and big D are the same buttons. So we need to designate those buttons to something different internally, resolve priority issues and then send the result to the console/PC.

Mutually Exclusive Buttons:
Negative edge can, potentially, make the hole "mutually exclusive" thing a pain in the buttocks.
Let's say you're holding (big) D. Now you hit K so the command is overwritten. You release D and K is overwritten to D again because of the negative edge, but you still hold K so it goes back to K immediately after that.
Maybe I'm over-interpreting and it will be a non-issue, but it could be a potential problem which would need some code concerning certain negative edge cases.
BTW how does the game handle negative edge (ingame)?

Another thing to ensure is that when you hold D, hit K and then release K while still holding D, it actually has to go back (aka overwrite) to D (and vice versa). Sounds like a no brainer, but it probably will need some code nontheless.

parrythelightning

• Total Domination
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 10:13:23 pm »
Sup dude!

If you want custom behavior like the behavior of your D and K buttons, you can get it on the Cerberus if you ask Gummowned to write it.

The PS360+ is marketed as having open source firmware, but Akishop Customs has not responded to my requests for the source and tools required to flash a PS360+....

You can also do this by putting some other PCB between your buttons and your actual PS3 PCB. Here is a video by someone who did something similar, with useful links in the description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMHT50OgvOQ

I play with 2x D+K buttons on my left hand, 1 D button and 2 K buttons on my right. D+K buttons are apparently not allowed at some tournaments (as Full Schedule discovered earlier this year), so I have some other mode that lets me use 1 D and 1 K on my left. All these extra buttons are really only helpful for Shoals though, and I never got my Shoals good enough to use...

Edit: added links lame pics of my button layouts http://i.imgur.com/Ns0QCcK.png http://i.imgur.com/WATI4ur.png
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:15:27 pm by parrythelightning »

shinken

• Headshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 05:33:08 am »
Nice :D. I got a hitbox as well, but that's a device I don't want to mess with the internals, because it was rather expensive (esp. outside the us with import customs etc.) and works so well already.
The ardunio is something interesting to consider though together with a cthulhu.

And it's a shame that the akishop pcb is not really as "open" as they advertise it.